The Body Builder vs. Athlete Dichotomy

The drive to both train for performance as well as appearance is a big obstacle on the journey towards Fitness Independence.

Sometimes the two just short circuit the results you really want. Other times it just causes more confusion over how to get what you want.

This is one of the best podcasts I’ve done. It will clear up a whole lot of confusion regarding one of the biggest sources of fitness lifestyle conflict and misinformation.

Tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Body Builder vs. Athlete Dichotomy

1. Laurie Mackeson says:

Very refreshing to hear someone validate athletic AND bodybuilding results.

“Luxary capabilities”…excellent way for me to think about how I train, especially if I am not feeling well/in the mood- of course a ‘light day’ is always my first choice because I like doing something.

When I get [insert negative feeling] I switch between athletic and bodybuilding results. The more I do one I miss the other. There are many occasions where I feel like doing both. The same ‘approach’ applies to individual exercises/movements and the technique/speed/duration they are done.

It is hard to describe what results I want BUT when I go for a run and (a) feel top heavy and/or (b) I achieve a relatively slow time BUT higher levels of fatigue (than I should). I know I am not doing enough Cardio/Leg strength/conditioning work.

Learning about Dichotomy allows me to relax because the ‘juggling’ feeling I used to get is now a totally real concept to my mind. If that makes sense.

Cheers – Laurie

• admin says:

So glad you’re finding a balance there Laurie. This dichotomy causes far too much needless stress within our fitness culture.

2. Laurie Mackeson says:

To me (at the moment) ‘balance’ is more of a fluid concept. I keep doing a particular ‘style’ of workout until I get ‘the feeling’ one gets when they have not done ‘other’ favourite activities ‘enough’. Got any ‘scores’ you are particularly close to breaking? Laurie

• admin says:

Always breaking scores laurie! Just broke 2 last night.

I like the idea of doing something until you feel like you haven’t done something else in a while. It’s a good way to stay hungry and bank strength.

3. Laurie Mackeson says:

I got within 15sec of my ‘best’ on a 6km street run (Run approx 1km and walk 50-100m) this morning. Like most of my running, ‘time’ is important, I make this run my (early morning) end of work week ‘blast’. It’s always good to catch the morning light/arm while everyone is in their house missing out ;-)

4. Laurie Mackeson says:

Matt – I am happy to report that I beat my P.B by 50sec on April 7! On this ‘note’, can you suggest ways to keep high interest and good results for activities (like running) while keeping it to a minimum? Cheers – Laurie